7 People Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

We all love our furry family members. And we’re willing to bet you love them so much that sometimes you give them just a small taste of the food off your plate.

While it’s relatively harmless most of the time, some people foods can wreak havoc on a pup’s health.

Most people know they should never feed a dog chocolate. However, there are other foods that are just as toxic, if not more so. Grapes, garlic, and macadamia nuts are all foods that can easily make your dog sick to the point of needing veterinary care.

Last year, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center received 167,000 phone calls. Thankfully only .02% of those calls resulted in death since most dogs can be saved if proper care is given immediately.

This infographic provides a great list of the seven people foods your dog should never, ever consume. Hopefully knowing which foods are toxic helps you avoid a pet poisoning, but if your mischievous dog somehow gets into something he shouldn’t, it also includes a list of symptoms you should watch out for and the steps you should take to make sure your pooch survives.

INFOGRAPHIC

Graphic by LifeVantage.com

Speaking of doggie diets, one of the best ways to support your pup’s health is with LifeVantage’s Canine Health Supplement. This unique formula uses Nrf2-activating ingredients to support canine joints, mobility and flexibility by reducing oxidative stress, ensuring your best friend will be right by your side for many years to come. It’s also great for your dog’s brain, skin and eyes. You can learn more about it here.

7 People Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

  • Last year the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center received 167,000 phone calls.90% of animal poisonings are accidental and happen at the owner’s home.
  • Dogs make up 70-80% of all animal poisoning cases.
  • Fact: Chocolate, gum, and grapes were the three most frequently reported people food poisonings for dogs in 2014.
  • Only .02% of calls to the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center resulted in death.

1. Chocolate

  • Why it’s toxic: Chocolate contains methylxanthines, which are toxic to dogs.
  • Fact: The darker the chocolate, the more methylxanthines it has.
  • How much is toxic: 25 grams.
    When will symptoms appear: 4-24 hours after ingestion.
  • Symptoms: Vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, restlessness, severe agitation, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, high body temperature, and seizures.
  • What you should do: Call the vet!

2. Onions and Garlic

  • Why it’s toxic: Onions and garlic contain thiosulfate, which can damage a dog’s red blood cells.
  • How much is toxic: 600-800 grams.
  • When will symptoms appear: 2-4 days after ingestion.
  • Symptoms: Lethargy, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, fast heart rate, fast breathing, anemia, paleness, and icterus (yellowing of the skin, gums, or whites of the eyes).
  • What you should do: Visit the vet immediately. Your dog may require a blood transfusion.

3. Gum

  • Why it’s toxic: Chewing gums contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is fatal to dogs.
  • Fact: From 2007 to 2011 pet poisonings from xylitol increased by 73%.
  • How much is toxic: 0.05 grams per pound of body weight.
  • When will symptoms appear: Typically within 15-30 minutes.
  • Symptoms: Lethargy, vomiting, loss of coordination, low blood sugar, collapse, seizures, internal bleeding, dark red splotches on gums and liver failure in extreme cases.
  • What you should do: Call the vet for instructions to induce vomiting.

4. Macadamia Nuts

  • Why it’s toxic: Unknown.
  • How much is toxic: 1 gram per pound of dog.
    When will symptoms appear: 12 hours after ingestion.
  • Symptoms: Weakness in rear legs, tremors, fever, vomiting, may appear to be in pain.
  • What you should do: Monitor the dog. Visit the vet if symptoms persist or get worse.

5. Bacon

  • Why it’s toxic: Fat and pork are bad for a dog’s digestive tract.
  • How much is toxic: Toxic when eaten over a prolonged period of time.
  • When will symptoms appear: Varies.
  • Symptoms: Upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea in some dogs after initial consumption. Pancreatitis with prolonged consumption. Pork products can also give dogs intestinal roundworms.
  • What you should do: Monitor if symptoms are mild. Seek veterinary care if they are severe or persist.

6. Grapes

  • Why it’s toxic: Unknown.
  • How much is toxic: 16 grams per 1 pound of dog.
  • When will symptoms appear: A few hours.
  • Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, dehydration, difficulty urinating, acute kidney failure.
  • What you should do: Call the vet for instructions to induce vomiting.

7. Alcohol

  • Why it’s toxic: Mainly ethanol, but many alcoholic drinks contain grapes (wine) and hops (beer), which can be fatal for dogs.
  • How much is toxic: Varies based on size of the dog.
  • When will symptoms appear: 15 minutes to 2 hours after ingestion.
  • Symptoms: Depression, confusion, hyperactivity, loss of coordination, vomiting, increased urination, difficulty breathing, decreased temperature, and seizures.
  • What you should do: Monitor if symptoms are mild. Call the vet if symptoms are severe.

 

Publicado en LiveVantage.com Blog el 21 de octubre de 2015

Anuncios

Deja tu comentario

Por favor, inicia sesión con uno de estos métodos para publicar tu comentario:

Logo de WordPress.com

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de WordPress.com. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Google photo

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Google. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Imagen de Twitter

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Twitter. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Foto de Facebook

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Facebook. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Conectando a %s